EIGHT POINTS REGARDING THE MODULAR THEATER v1.2
In the Modular Theater, performances are created through the assemblage of shorter pieces of work that are related and tied together as the artists involved see fit. It is performed collage. These pieces can be wholly created anew or entirely scavenged. They can be stand alone pieces in their own right. They can be reused. A piece of Modular Theater is created when a Set List, Score, Script, or other term for a collection of these Scenes, or Tracks are assembled and performed.
- The Modular Theater is informed by Rock & Roll. Rock & Roll in this context is to be understood as post-Elvis pop music.
- The Modular Theater recognizes that theater has been disguised as Rock &Roll by various Rock & Roll practitioners.
- The Modular Theater contends that the formal presentation of Rock & Roll has created a comfortable space in which Rock & Roll fans enjoy art. Examples include the Album, the Concert, the DJ Session,
- The Modular Theater is a response to the popularity of Rock & Roll. In this it is reactionary.
- The Modular Theater wishes to meet people that do not already know theater. In this way it is curious.
- The Modular Theater is informed by a variety of Short Attention Span Theaters, such as improvisation, ten minute plays, story-telling, short form puppetry, spoken word, poetry salon (or slam if one prefers more violent imagery), & stand-up and may utilize forms originating from Short Attention Span Theaters. In this way it evolutionary.
- The Modular Theater has a fondness for kinetic installation art. This fondness is so great that it would not be unhappy if some pieces of art created under the roof of the Modular Theater were to be interpreted as such.
- This fondness extends to other art forms and the Modular Theater understands it might be viewed as those forms from time to time. The Modular Theater is cool with that, as The Modular Theater has no ego, and wishes people to create and enjoy art as they understand it.
Because the Modular Theater is young and not yet fully formed, it feels the need to define itself partially by what it is not. The Modular Theater wishes to stress that this is not the teenage impulse to claim it will not be its parents. On the contrary, The Modular Theater is grateful to all its parents.
The Modular Theater is not a night of ten-minute plays.
The Modular Theater is not a Rock & Roll show. Music is not required.
The Modular Theater is not a variety show, although variety is welcome.
The Modular Theater is not random.
The Modular Theater is not a compromise or a pandering.
The Modular Theater attempts to not only speak to audiences but also to listen to audiences. In this way it is friendly.